Kombucha is a health and wellness drink that contributes not only to your physical well-being, but your mental and spiritual psyche as well. The mental clarity and physical health garnered from this fermented beverage will incite a new understanding of the connection between mind and body.
My home brew kits are created using the most natural and healthy ingredients and can be found here.
Your Home Brew Kit Includes:
- 1 ounce blended organic black and green tea bag
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria & Yeast)
- 1 cup kombucha starter
Additional Items You Will Need:
- 1 gallon glass brew jar – get one with a spout for continuous brew
- Cotton cloth jar cover and rubber band
- 1 gallon filtered or purified water
- Wooden spoon
- Large pot
Kombucha Brewing Instructions: Makes 1 gallon
BREW YOUR TEA
- Bring 8 cups (1/2 gallon) water to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add tea bag and steep tea blend in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and add sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Add 8 cups (1/2 gallon) cold water to the sweet tea solution to dilute and cool it down.
- Once the tea is cool to touch, pour the sweet tea solution into the brewing jar. Make sure there is room at the top of your jar for maximum SCOBY growing.
- Allow the tea to cool to room temperature (below 90 degrees).
- Add the entire LBK SCOBY package (liquid and culture piece) to brew.
- Cover your brewing jar with a breathable cotton cloth (cheesecloth is too “holey” and fruit fly friendly). Secure with a rubber band.
- Place your kombucha brew jar in a warm and stable environment between 72 and 80 degrees, avoiding direct sunlight.
After 7-14 days, you will notice a new baby SCOBY growing on the surface. It may look strange or even gross, but that’s where the magic is happening! Your SCOBY is consuming and converting the tea and sugar into probiotics, enzyme rich and vitamin charged kombucha.
Your kombucha should be ready in 14-28 days, depending on temperature and taste preference. The first round or two will take a little longer as SCOBY adapts to its new home. Short brew=sweet. Long brew=vinegary. Taste with straw daily after 10 days.
Then, you bottle, flavor and refrigerate… that’s in another post=)